Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Swift

At Thanksgiving, DH asked my brother to fabricate him a replacement leg for our teak deck chaise that collapsed. My brother has an extensive wood shop at home, and that could be the christmas present.
So, as ever more yarn accumulates in my stash, I decided to ask for a wood swift from him for christmas. I even made him hold a skein of yarn while I wound it, just to demonstrate the need for such a thing. Fine; his friend even made one of these for some other friend, so there was a reference. I sent along some pics and specs, he asked a few questions, and there I was, hopeful.

Now, my brother is a perfectionist, and may possibly have some issues with finishing; a sadness at the end of a project, an attachment to his creations, I dont know. Christmas comes and we have a lovely day and dinner at my house, but no swift. He's making a few design improvements, waiting on a part, whatever.
In February I email to inquire, and he tells me that it's coming along beautifully, I'm going to be thrilled, almost done. "Almost done" is apparently a relative term, or he and I have differing interpretations, at least. March is a big month for us Malabrigo Junkies, so nervously I prod some more. Cut to the chase, the swift finally arrives and I ignore his instructions to call him first and just set the thing up and wind a ball. With my new ball winder I got for christmas, to use with the swift. Anyway, once I work out the right way to expand it so that it doesn't self-tighten itself to a stop, the thing is AWESOME! Now maybe I have one less reason to procrastinate about trying laceweight yarn.

No comments: